Friday, September 4, 2009

I never had such a week!

I have never had such an up and down week! First I find out that my disability claim was denied so that I will no be getting a paycheck while I'm on maternity leave. CVS screwed up their paperwork so I'm the one left holding the bag! After about 20 phone calls over 5 days and lots of crying and yelling I think they have it fixed but it being Friday I will not know for sure till Tuesday because Monday is Labor Day.

On top of that being added to my already over flowing plate Baby Aric started off the week bad but after my husband did some research and checked out Cleftline.org we learned how to feed him and the Doctor wanted to try breastfeeding. We tried the breastfeeding on Wednesday night with no success, he didn't think it was a real nipple so he would not latch on. We decide that my pumping and feeding him that would be good enough because we just want him to go home.
Then Thursday Night came. The Doctor said that he was doing so good that he most likely will be released Friday or Saturday at the latest. He also asked if we would like a Fetal Monitor to make sure that his tongue didn't close over his airway in the middle of the night. I wasn't required but he recommended it. We said yes. Then talking to Baby Aric's nurse about breastfeeding she told us about a Nipple Shield that might help him. We just needed an order from a Lactation Consultant to get one. We were on air when we left Thursday Night. No only might we be able to take him home but he might be able to breastfeed too!

Friday Morning was chaos! On and off the phone with insurance and the hospital. Because we choose to have a Fetal Monitor we have to have someone from Apria Healthcare (the company that rents them) show us how to use it. This now means that he will not be released till we have someone from Apria show up. After Apria lost the first order that was faxed to them the social worker got another order in and was able to get someone out there today. Dodged that bullet! Then my husband runs in to my doctor on his way up with Shevyn to see Baby Aric and tells her he might be discharged today and that we called her office this morning about the circumcision and they told us that since I would not see the doctor because I was discharged last week that I have to bring him in to get it done. She told my husband to just have my nurse call her because she has a circumcision to do at 2:20 and she will do his afterward because she likes to do them in the hospital as much as possible. So the little guy gets his circumcision done. We learn how to do the Fetal Monitor and we are just waiting for a final order from the doctor.
5 o'clock rolls around and the Doctor tells us that he lost 16 grams so he can't go home now. He wants to watch him for the next day so Sunday is now the earliest he can go home! I'm almost in tears! I can't believe it, I was going to take my son home tonight but now I can't! After the doctor leaves the nurse tells us that 16 grams isn't anything to worry about because his diapers are 15 to 18 grams and he may have just had a diaper change before the weighting. This is so upsetting! We go from a Friday to Saturday at the latest release to now a Sunday at the earliest!

I've gone over a week of his precious life without bonding with him and now it will be even longer without him! I never got to bond with him the way I thought I would and now I can never get that time back! They took him as an over precaution and now they will not let him go! This is a great hopsital but I'm so sick of defensive medicine! A Cleft Palate is not something my son needs to be in NICU for!

~Breianna~
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment